On a part of the former Santa Barbara ranch’s lands, the urbanization was constructed over several stages similar to the El Chico development. While still far from the existing urban zone, one of its innovations consisted of introducing all commercial infrastructure to guarantee self-sufficiency. Thus, a church, banks, theaters, restaurants, supermarkets, and many others were included in the designs with the construction of a new civic center to form the new “Satellite City.”
The project could not be carried out in full and only the shopping center and the church were completed, and eventually the Patria Theater (1948) was incorporated.
A path of elongated rectangular blocks and walkways that cross and connect the different blocks and parks characterize Santa Barbara.